- Head of Airport Fire & Rescue Service and Fire Safety (Chief Fire Officer) – Stansted Airport
- Permanent role, great career opportunity
- Competitive salary (based on experience), plus company benefits
As the Head of Airport Fire & Rescue Service (AFRS) and Fire Safety (Chief Fire Officer), you will be responsible for maintaining a fully effective Emergency Fire & Rescue Service in order to save life and protect property in line with company standards and licensing requirements. You will work with the of Airport Fire & Rescue Service (AFRS) team to ensure continued development of the Fire Service strategy, policy and standards on a group level.
In the event of a major incident you will make strategic decisions to support the management team to ensure business continuity is maintained and business recovery is prioritised.
You will also be accountable for Fire Safety for the Airport and will be responsible for ensuring the Airport remains compliant with fire safety legislation. You will lead the team in the day to day fire safety management and stakeholder engagement and deliver project oversight and solutions all within a continuous improvement of the fire safety cycle.
- To provide firefighting services in accordance with regulatory requirements and agreed standards that enables the business to maintain its license to operate.
- Ensure business continuity through effective short, medium- and long-term planning.
- Develop policy and process to enable audit compliance, whilst managing the AFRS resources to ensure the requirements of both the MAG and external standards are maintained.
- To provide Airport Fire Service technical advice to the Stansted Fire Service team, external emergency services and the Stansted Incident Management Team in order to minimise business disruption and assist the business to return to normal operations, following an incident.
- Ensure contingency plans are in place and maintained through the Stansted Incident Management Team.
- Contribute to the delivery of the airport business plan through ownership of the Fire Service business plan.
- Ensuring effective working relationships with internal/external bodies, providing the framework for policies and procedures to be updated and improving working relationships with terminal operations, airfield operations, and local authority fire service, to ensure an effective integrated response to emergency situations.
- Ensure the Fire Service Training Plan is developed and managed to comply with all regulatory requirements.
- Lead and motivate the Fire Service to achieve agreed results. Includes coaching Station Managers, carrying out appraisals and supporting development.
- Take a lead role in AFRS Talent & Succession Planning.
- Ensure the provision, maintenance and control of budgets to meet local, corporate and statutory requirements.
- Ensure manpower levels meet operational demand through effective resource planning against forecast, maximising effective use of all available resources.
- Propose, initiate and manage strategic change to ensure the Fire Service develops policy consistent with local and corporate objectives.
- Lead and continuously develop a Safety Management System approach for all AFRS activities and areas of responsibility. Own the Health & Safety management process for the Fire Service ensuring total compliance
- Lead performance planning for the Stansted AFRS management team, to align with Stansted Airport strategy.
- Management of Fire Service assets, linking in with the Airside Facilities Manager, ensuring planned maintenance regimes are in place, delivering minimal disruption at optimal cost.
- Ensure new assets are fit for purpose, risk assessed, and employees are trained to use them.
- Work closely with Trade Unions and chair forums.
- Ensure group procurement of all AFRS clothing meets current standards and Company policy.
- Support the Business resilience & Continuity in all aspects of Emergency Planning, attending all associated forums, including all Emergency Exercises be they table to, or practical.
- Act as a fully operational Manager if and when required.
- Implementing the site’s fire safety policy to meet the requirements of the Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005.
- Direct and manage the leadership of a team of fire safety advisers ensuring proficient service & support and optimal deployment of resource.
- Ensure the Fire engineered strategies for the main public buildings are current.
- Develop fire safety competence within Operational Teams and other business units to ensure managers have the necessary technical capability to fulfil their fire safety responsibilities.
- Develop and support delivery of Stansted Airport fire safety improvement plans required to meet the Airport fire safety targets.
- Lead process to ensure key fire safety risks are identified and assessed appropriately.
- Account for the design, influence and lead fire safety improvement projects.
- Account for the development of programmes and initiatives to maintain required levels of fire safety awareness in the business.
- Monitor fire safety performance at Stansted Airport and advise on necessary remedial action.
- Ensure fire safety incidents are appropriately investigated by line management.
- Develop and manage positive working relationships with fire safety regulators ensuring a clear communication channel.
- Ensure that there is a robust training plan in place to ensure all fire safety roles are adequately trained and instructed.
- To ensure that all systems and procedures introduced by the company are effectively implemented and adhered to
- Manage direct reports to deliver against all performance expectations including their health & safety, personal development and succession planning
Qualifications and skills:
- Substantial Fire service knowledge, sufficient to provide advice to Fire Service teams and external airport stakeholders.
- A high level of technical & general managerial competence in managing large scale Airport Fire Service teams
- Strong leadership and influencing skills.
- Excellent planning and analytical skills.
- Experience in influencing and communicating effectively from Director level to front line employees
- Be highly self-motivated, creative and proactive, whilst being able to organise and co-ordinate team working to deliver overall objectives.
- NEBOSH Certificate in Occupational Health & Safety or equivalent
- Valid UK Full Driving Licence and valid LGV licence ‘C’
- Demonstrable experience operating within an airport environment, or other complex operational environments.
- Meets and maintains MAG medical and physical assessment standards
What we offer
Stansted offers a competitive salary (based on experience) plus up to 20% bonus, car allowance and company benefits. Stansted is a large employer in the East of England and we can offer unparalleled career and development opportunities. Applications for this role will close 02/8/19 and we look forward to receiving your application.
MAG is the country’s largest airport group. We own Manchester, Stansted and East Midlands Airports. However, our airports are so much more than the place where your holiday starts! They are 24/7 self-contained towns, with the wider property portfolio spanning 6m square feet of office space, high street shops, cafes, restaurants, event locations and corporate hospitality (to name just some of our services) these are all accessed by great transport links and monitored by 24hr security.
MAG are a values led organisation and we are committed to providing equal opportunities in all areas of work and business. We want people to achieve their best, which will in turn positively impact on our customers and the communities in which we live and work. At MAG we empower people to be themselves within an inclusive and supportive environment, enabling everyone to achieve their full potential in line with their abilities and career aspirations.
As an inclusive employer, MAG wants to see every candidate performing at their best throughout the job application process, interview process and whilst at work. We therefore encourage you to inform us of any reasonable adjustments you might need to enable this to happen.