Quantity Surveyor Apprentice
Based at Stansted Airport
About the Company
Manchester Airports Group (MAG) is the country’s largest UK-owned airport operator. Our three airports - Stansted, East Midlands and Manchester – serve around 60 million passengers every year. Our airports are multi-award-winning businesses responsible for directly employing, training and developing thousands of people. MAG is proud of its commitment to a healthy graduate, intern and apprentice programme. These programmes give young people the opportunity to enter our business in position that compliments their career aspirations and offers industry leading training.
- Support to the Contracts Delivery Manager, Senior Quantity Surveyor and Quantity Surveyor – Capital & Assets across the Group Airports for the provision of assisting and supporting in a range of procurement, commercial, contract formulation/management and supplier relationship duties for all capital and construction expenditure activities.
- Support and assist in the implementation of sound commercial governance, control and best practice procurement, contract management and Supplier Relationship Management against the MAG capital expenditure programme.
- Support the implementation of a contract management/supplier relationship management approach across the capital programme to ensure that value is realised across the end to end supply chain.
- The role holder will assist and support with the management of procurement, commercial and contract formulation/management and supplier relationship management duties against a programme of capital/construction works
- The role holder will assist and support in providing an end to end service to the Engineering Services and Asset Management client organisations and other business areas as required.
- Support Procurement & Contracts delivery on various projects within a specific Airport location and across the wider MAG Group as required within the capital and construction category area.
- Assist and support a Contract Management and Supplier Relationship Management approach across the capital programme to maximise end to end value opportunities through the supplier/contract relationships.
- Developing working relationships with internal stakeholders and contractors and will help promote a continuous performance improvement ethos.
- The role holder will assist and support the delivery of year on year savings and qualitative improvements, identify and track savings and benefits following the implementation of category strategies and Framework Agreements and procurement activity and will be a key driver of cost effectiveness, value, quality and efficiency.
- Assist and support with formulating purchasing and supply strategies and build and maintain effective and productive relationships with suppliers and remain “market aware
- Assist and support with Procurement & Contracts ownership and decision-making responsibility for Capital & Assets category
- Assist and support with Procurement & Contracts best practice implementation and key compliance driver. Self-adherence to and direction of stakeholder’s compliance with Procurement & Contracts functional processes, internal business processes and compliance with Utilities Contract Regulations as amended 2010.
- Assist and support with the identification/resolution of issues and non-compliances appropriately and to support external commercial negotiations on assigned projects.
Essential skills includes:
- Knowledge of basic contract law and experience of contract formation and basic contract administration / management
- Knowledge of tender processes and relevant OJEU regulations (Utilities Contract Regulations as amended 2016)
- The role will require analytical skills, commercial awareness, a measured approach to decision making and the ability to ensure best value procurement
- An interest in studying towards RICS or equivalent commercial qualification is advantageous.
- Some experience in capital/construction area desirable.
- Knowledge of EU Procurement Regulations and application under UCR (Utilities Contracts Regulations as amended 2010) and different forms of contracts and commercial models including extensive NEC experience.
- Well organised and able to prioritise workload with tight deadlines and work effectively under pressure.
A minimum of 5 GCSE’s Grade 5 and above, including Maths and English
A levels with Maths or English
ONC/HNC in a construction related discipline
Ideally :- Experience of working in some capacity in the construction industry