- Systems Engineer experienced in baggage and X-ray screening assets
- Expertly advise on complex and safety-critical baggage and other mechanical systems across all MAG airports
- Based at Stansted or Manchester Airport, up to £70k plus bonus, car allowance, pension and great benefits package
The MAG Engineering Services Department plays a key part in delivering airport Capital Programmes, ensuring the Group works to good engineering/asset management processes and provides MAG airports with excellent technical support from suitably skilled and qualified subject matter experts. The Head of Baggage & Mechanical Systems will provide first class engineering advice and support to Group and Airport colleagues for a wide range of complex and safety-critical baggage and other mechanical systems across all MAG airports. This includes (but is not limited to) Baggage systems, Building M&E, Airbridges, lifts and escalators.
Reporting into the Group Head of Asset Policy and Standards and part of an excellent Group technical team, your responsibilities include:
- Own and design Performance Standards for all baggage and mechanical systems used to inform procurement and design specifications.
- Work closely with the other Engineering SMEs (Civil, Architectural and Electrical) to build a community that provides guidance and sets the technical benchmark for engineering practise across MAG.
- Provide technical leadership and support as required in the technical design and delivery of projects from specification to handover into beneficial use.
- Drive standardisation of optimum asset design across MAG, maximising whole life value by intelligent design requirements and procurement and assurance that safe, compliant and efficient solutions are delivered.
- Works with Group Asset Information Systems, IT and Airport Asset Data Managers to ensure that condition and performance data from mechanical systems is used effectively to design the best maintenance solutions and support capital decision making. Contributes towards Airport teams compiling Asset System Strategies and Asset Management Plans.
- Ensure all new standards and legislation associated with baggage and mechanical systems is understood and communicated to stakeholders within MAG, to guarantee safety, statutory compliance and good engineering practice.
- Provides quality assurance in the review of technical specifications and designs for mechanical systems against MAG Asset Standards, monitor and challenge the quality of designs undertaken by third parties.
- Support and advise programme governance boards to review change programmes, looking at risk mitigation strategies and strategic direction.
- Ensures that new technologies and innovations in baggage and mechanical systems thinking are reviewed and improvements that benefit MAG can be utilised.
You can choose to be based at either Stansted or Manchester Airport. You will need to regularly travel across all MAG airport sites each month.
- Chartered Engineer (or working towards chartership), qualified to degree or Masters level in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent. Member of IMechE or IET or appropriate equivalent institutional body.
- Significant experience required in design and engineering management of large complex mechanical systems in an airport environment
- Specialist knowledge of Baggage assets, including X-ray screening assets, is essential
- In depth knowledge of Systems Engineering best practice across all lifecycle phases of complex mechanical assets (acquire, operate, maintain and disposal) to translate business requirements into technical specifications
- Well organised, detail orientated, able to prioritise workload with tight deadlines, work effectively under pressure
- Skilled at influencing and building and maintaining relationships with stakeholders at all levels and able to communicate priorities effectively.
- Experienced in procurement and tendering processes with a focus on whole life value
- Excellent data/asset information management skills
- Excellent IT skills in Word, PowerPoint and SharePoint and able to produce high quality technical reports
What we offer:
We are offering a competitive salary of up to £70k (dependent upon experience) plus bonus, car allowance, pension and great benefits package
MAG is a leading UK airport group and owns and operates three UK airports - Manchester, London Stansted and East Midlands and employs over 6000 people. The Group sees over 58 million passengers flying through its airports every year. MAG also has a substantial property business, with over £525 million of investment property assets across its airports, and has a 70% investment in the £1 billion, 5 million sq ft Airport City development at Manchester Airport. To ensure that our airports and our property portfolio is maintained and developed, our Asset Management team works around the clock to drive asset strategy, capital expenditure planning, engineering services, airport asset development, master planning and capacity planning.
MAG are a values led organisation and we are committed to providing equal opportunities in all areas of work and business. We want people to achieve their best, which will in turn positively impact on our customers and the communities in which we live and work. At MAG we empower people to be themselves within an inclusive and supportive environment, enabling everyone to achieve their full potential in line with their abilities and career aspirations.
As an inclusive employer, MAG wants to see every candidate performing at their best throughout the job application process, interview process and whilst at work. We therefore encourage you to inform us of any reasonable adjustments you might need to enable this to happen.