- Mechanical Technician, Building Services – Stansted Airport
- Permanent role, great career opportunity
- Operational Support Band 6, £27,378.24 rising to £30,348.48 (post performance review)
The Building Services Mechanical Technician ensures that specified equipment and facilities within the Terminal Building and Satellites operate effectively to enable the delivery of a high quality, reliable service to passengers, tenants and other internal / external customers, through effective and efficient maintenance of airport assets. This includes completion of work in accordance with prevailing MAG processes and contributing towards the continuous improvement of the maintenance service.
MAG is the country’s largest airport group. Our assets include Manchester, Stansted and East Midlands Airports. To ensure that our airports and our property portfolio is maintained and developed, our Asset Management team works around the clock to drive asset strategy, capital expenditure planning, engineering services, airport asset development, master planning and capacity planning.
- Undertake planned or reactive maintenance work on STAL facilities ensuring optimum serviceability which meets agreed service levels and provides a trouble-free operational environment, applying the skills and knowledge required for the task. This includes inspecting assets which are not working as needed, assessing & reporting what work is required and undertaking that work.
- Carry out tasks which require in depth technical competence in mechanical engineering or minor work in other disciplines which you have the skills to do.
- Use prevailing MAG IT and work management systems (for example MAXIMO) as required. This includes receiving & closing down work orders and entering accurate data. Use maintenance system data to understand individual, team & asset performance.
- Ensure that all engineering and operating records are updated to meet business, regulatory & manufacturer requirements.
- Operate and promote working practices which ensure a safe working environment for self and others, contributing to the development of a safety culture and adhering to mandatory regulations & safety procedures.
- Engage proactively in any work associated with delivering performance improvements within the Terminal and Satellite building services environment.
- Communicate effectively with customers and building maintenance team colleagues on the progress of completing work.
- Work with others, including colleagues on a one to one basis to help them learn.
- Proactively upgrade skills to facilitate the maintenance and operation of new assets being delivered into service to ensure that they are maintained in a manner which keeps them performing at an appropriate level.
- Any other duties as reasonably requested by the company that may be outside the standard remit of the role.
- To take responsibility for personal and team compliance with Company Health and Safety Policies, ensuring safe working practices are maintained which minimise the risk to self, work colleagues, customers and staff.
- To be knowledgeable about the facilities and layout of the airport in order to assist passengers and airport users with their queries
- To demonstrate a flexible and helpful attitude, assisting in the smooth running of the airport
- To maintain professional standards at all times including personal appearance in accordance with uniform standards.
- To communicate effectively, demonstrating empathy and understanding to customers whilst ensuring that procedures are followed in all case.
The successful applicant will have the following desirable knowledge, experience and skills:
- Completion of a Mechanical Apprenticeship.
- NVQ 2/3 or ONC in Mechanical Engineering.
- Demonstratable experience of providing mechanical facilities maintenance in a complex, busy environment.
- Experienced in planned, preventative and reactive maintenance on HVAC systems.
- Experienced in the repair and assembly of pipework systems.
- Show an understanding for Mechanical engineering practices, such as shaft / bearing replacements, pump alignments and valve overhauls.
- Experience in working with a Maintenance Management system and operating under a 'safe system of work'.
- Completion of relevant & related safety skills training.
- Meets the requirements of the competence assessment process.
- Full and assessed knowledge of any relevant National or MAG regulations or standards
- Able to demonstrate that through formal training or apprenticeship schemes and / or practical experience has gained underpinning technical knowledge and technical skills in mechanical maintenance which is at or exceeds that achieved through the prevailing MAG apprenticeship.
- Meets the requirements of the Technician Competence Assessment process.
- Capable of undertaking effectively mechanical maintenance tasks such as those scheduled in the prevailing MAG apprenticeship scheme.
What we offer
This opportunity offers a competitive salary and all colleague bonus (subject to Company performance). Stansted is a large employer in the East of England and we can offer unparalleled career and development opportunities. Applications for this role will close when sufficient applications have been received, so please apply soon to avoid disappointment.
MAG is the country’s largest airport group. We own Manchester, Stansted and East Midlands Airports. However, our airports are so much more than the place where your holiday starts! They are 24/7 self-contained towns, with the wider property portfolio spanning 6m square feet of office space, high street shops, cafes, restaurants, event locations and corporate hospitality (to name just some of our services) these are all accessed by great transport links and monitored by 24hr security.
MAG are a values led organisation and we are committed to providing equal opportunities in all areas of work and business. We want people to achieve their best, which will in turn positively impact on our customers and the communities in which we live and work. At MAG we empower people to be themselves within an inclusive and supportive environment, enabling everyone to achieve their full potential in line with their abilities and career aspirations.
As an inclusive employer, MAG wants to see every candidate performing at their best throughout the job application process, interview process and whilst at work. We therefore encourage you to inform us of any reasonable adjustments you might need to enable this to happen.